Habitus Issue 18
In Habitus 18, enjoy a photo shoot that asks: what do you do when you have some time to yourself? To coincide with the holiday season, we also look at how to get packed in style for a range of getaways. As well, meet creative personalities at home, including eminent Australian architect, Alex Popov, at his 17th Century farmhouse in Mallorca. Plus visit Studio Juju in Singapore and discover the intriguing work of Indian artist, Subodh Gupta.
Explore a host of inspirational living spaces across the Region, such as a light-filled terrace, an unusual copper-clad structure, a bach with sensitive allusions to the site’s Maori past and a home that achieves “perfection, without being too perfect”.
Habitus Issue 17
In Habitus 17, enjoy a photo shoot that celebrates the return of outdoor dining weather, plus beautiful products for spring cleaning, the latest stationery and cutlery, and furniture, lighting and technology for Living in Design. As well, meet creative personalities at home, including Brazilian-born, Brisbane-based Alexander Lotersztain, and meet Indian-born, Amsterdam-based designer Satyendra Pakhale.
Plus explore a host of other inspirational living spaces across the Region, such as a photographer’s warehouse home, a modern addition to a heritage-listed house, a Singapore family residence that is open to the elements, and a working vineyard that is home to a New Zealand couple.
Habitus 17 is available now
Habitus Issue 16
In this issue, we get on the road with a transport-inspired photo shoot that will have you rearing to go. Plus get inspired by texture with the latest table linens, flooring and hardware. Journey with Habitus to Blackdown, the historic home of artist Tim Storrier, winner of the prestigious Archibald Prize 2012. And meet Thai artist, Torlap Larpjaroensook, NZ designers Arch and Jane MacDonnell of graphic studio, Inhouse, and young Thai creative duo, O-D-A .Check out
There’s a multitude of ideas and ways of living in our projects section this issue. From a family dwelling rebuilt after the Victorian Black Saturday bushfires, a clever and compact inner-city home in Sydney, a spacious retreat in India, or a modest cabin in the mountains, there’s something for everyone.
Habitus Issue 15
The second issue of the re-designed Habitus will touch down on 28 March. Check out a gravity-defying photo shoot, as well as a host of international design products and the latest items for the bathroom from Italy’s Cersaie fair. We meet the brother-sister duo behind Melbourne fashion label, Alpha60, passionate art promoter, Shalini Ganendra in KL, textile doyenne of Sri Lanka, Barbara Sansoni and her photographer son, Dominic, and Singapoorean interior designer, Angelena Chan.
Visit some amazing houses around the Region for inspiration on how to make the most of what you’ve got. Whether faced with restrictions on space, views or anything else, innovative solutions can be found. We also wander around the heel of Italy’s boot in Puglia and discuss where the suburbs are headed.
Habitus Issue 14
Welcome to the new-look Habitus designed by graphic design studio one8one7. In an engaging, refreshed layout, we bring you the same flavour of unique Habitus stories to enjoy.
First, be inspired by the latest and greatest design products for the home. We had heaps of fun putting together storage ideas and our pick of illustrated fabrics, mobile phone technology and accessories, and a tasty selection of items for coffee and tea drinkers.
We’d like to share our Portraits of Design Hunters from the Region. Enter the homes of NZ architect Davor Popadich, Thai ceramicist Somluck Pantiboon, and Funkis creative, Carina Enstrom-Gibb. Also check out amazing collection of art in Sydney’s White Rabbit Gallery and a new trends in Teak furniture by Indonesian company, d-Bodhi.
On Location, we travel to Singapore, New Zealand, and Malaysia, as well as Perth, Sydney and Melbourne, for a look at diverse designed ways of life. Then visit Helsinki, the World Design Capital 2012 and get thinking with a few recent books.
Habitus Issue 13
Explore creative worlds in Habitus 13, from the global products inspiring Design Hunters everywhere, to a look at the hottest pens and pencils, and furniture in the context of art.
This issue we discover the world of New Zealand ceramicist, Kristin Peren, meet Bangkok-based Angus Hutcheson of Ango Lighting, and creative partners Adam Cruickshank and Amber Ward in Perth. Then we get political with Vietnamese artist Pham Huy Thong and explore art online with NZ portal, Ocula.
Ideas for living are found in all of our project stories this issue, including the new modernism in Bali, a stately Tadao Ando house in Sri Lanka, a space-efficient ex-motorcycle workshop in Sydney. We also learn how John Spatchurst places a life’s worth of collectables, antiques and art in his home with a graphic designer’s eye, and wander through the home and gardens of Wendy Whiteley.
You can pick up your copy of issue 13 in good newsagents and bookstores, including Magnation. Or Subscribe to future issues here.
Habitus Issue 12
Habitus 12 offers a smorgasbord of furniture, lighting and objects to enjoy, as well as the very latest in speakers and new patterns, constructions and textures for fabrics.
Meet some of the Region’s creative minds, from Khai Liew’s amazing story to Singapore fashion designer, Jo Soh, of Hansel; and enter the living domain of accessories brand Mimco’s creative director, Cathryn Wills, Filipino designer Milo Naval and interior designer, Juliette Arent.
As always, landscape plays a lead role in our project section; whether dramatic clifftops in Victoria or the Sydney suburbs, the context is highly considered. Add a sprinkling of inspiration from Bangkok, Malaysia and New Zealand, a 1960s revival, and a historic look at the legacy of an architectural icon, and you’ve got the idea of Habitus 12.
You can pick up your copy of issue 12 in good newsagents and bookstores, including Magnation. Or subscribe to future issues here for your chance to win 1 of 6 Bloom Pots from Café Culture.
Habitus Issue 11
We dive into design in Habitus 11, beginning with a selection of international products, the new wave of coat hangers – and rejoice as colour makes a comeback.
Also in this issue:
- NZ fashion icon Marilyn Sainty
- The man behind the cult website theselby.com
- Artist Lisa Cooper
- Philippine fashion designer Rajo Laurel
- and NZ architect Pete Bossley and his wife, artist Miriam van Wezel
- A black and white inner-suburban Sydney masterpiece
- A theatrical green house in Indonesia
- A compact five-storey shophouse in Bangkok
- and a sprawling Cedar farmhouse in the South Island of NZ
Habitus Issue 10
In this issue we get excited by reinventions of the traditional chandelier, and discover contemporary products and forms in bamboo.
Also in this issue:
- NZ jewellery and furniture designer Stephanie Donald
- P. Tendercool in Bangkok
- Sydney interior designer Antonia Pesenti
- Victoria’s maverick maker Greg Hatton
- and jeweller turned perfumier, Stefano Canturi
- Whether in the hills of New Zealand, on remote Stradbroke Island in Queensland or the plains outside Mumbai, homes across the Region respond to the climate, landscape and cultural traditions to create environments that embody unique ways of life.
Habitus Issue 09
As well as global design objects and furniture in Design News, Habitus 09 shows the potential of humble cardboard in many forms. Also enjoy the product shoot (featured on the front cove!), with the latest comeback element for the home – wallpaper.
Also in this issue:
- Discover the partnership behind NZ fashion brand Kate Sylvester
- The photographic explorations of Fiona Tan
- Furniture designer Grazia Materia
- and weaving collective, Eastern Weft
- A glass floor brings light into a dark Sydney terrace
- A vast former school drill hall in Melbourne is cleverly arranged into living spaces
- A home in Thailand becomes a gallery of the resident’s experiences and enjoy our first Philippine houses, showing two interpretations of combining old with new for contemporary living.
Habitus Issue 08
In issue 08, Habitus brings you the latest in beautiful design products from around the world, along with a dedicated photo shoot on ideas for lighting.
Also in this issue:
- Fashion duo Easton Pearson show us around their hometown, Brisbane
- The home of Anton Assaad of Great Dane in Melbourne
- Singapore’s design anarchist, Chris Lee
- and discover Adelaide illustrator extraordinaire, Dan McPharlin.
- An urban family dwelling in Bangkok
- An affordable adaption of a coastal cottage in NSW
- A meandering addition with the feel of a Mediterranean cliff-top village
- and the home of a creative couple in India.
Habitus Issue 07
This issue, as well as covering the latest design objects, Habitus puts the spotlight on the coffee table and looks at ideas for soft flooring.
Also in this issue:
- Discover themes of life and death in the work of jeweller, Julia deVille and artist, Charwei Tsai
- The creative partnership of fashion brand, Nobody
- The regional inspirations of photographer, Simryn Gill and Indian architecture hero, Rahul Mehrotra.
- A terrace belonging to food-lovers in Singapore
- A house made of recycled timber electricity poles in Malaysia
- A holiday home in New Zealand
- and the Housemuseum of architect, Corbett Lyon
Habitus Issue 06
Habitus 06 encompasses living in design, bringing you diverse stories from the Region.
In this issue:
- We meet the 3 sisters behind fashion label, High Tea with Mrs Woo
- Join Stephen Ormandy of Dinosaur Designs on his inspired artistic journey
- and explore residential projects by installation artist, Janet Laurence
- In the Philippines and Malaysia traditional techniques meet modern materials in the work of furniture designer, Ann Pamintuan, and textile/fashion designer, Edric Ong.
- A beach house in Far North Queensland
- A home for an extended family in Bangkok
- The penthouse apartment in Sydney
- Across the ditch, New Zealand art gallery owner, John Gow, opens up his home and art collection for us and we see how architects, Mitchell Stout, design for town and country living.
Habitus Issue 05
Habitus celebrates its first birthday this issue, with plenty of exciting content.
In this issue:
- In Singapore, meet Nathan Yong, founder of Air Division
- Architect William Lim
- Get acquainted with Melbourne-based illustrator, Megan Hess
- Visit art foundation owners, Dr Gene and Brian Sherman at home in Sydney.
- Discover the varied background of New Zealand’s Gidon Bing,
- and fly to Paris with Korean-born, Philippine-based textile designer, Eun Il Lee.
- A terrace home in Singapore
- A pavilion-style beach house in NSW
- A contemporary tropical home in Malaysia
- and the family home of New Zealand architect, Noel Lane.
Habitus Issue 04
Habitus 04 brings together a diverse selection of personalities, this issue focussing on Australia and New Zealand.
In this issue:
- Fashion designer, Alex Perry
- Architect, John Wardle
- We introduce Tim Fleming’s art, furniture and design
- The textiles of Sydney trio, Sixhands
- and the fine jewellery of New Zealand’s Joanna Campbell.
- A curvaceous Corian creation on the Auckland harbour
- An addition to a family home in inner Sydney
- We compare 2 very different projects by burgeoning Melbourne architect, Jeremy Wolveridge.
Habitus Issue 03
Indulge in Habitus Issue 03 as we explore the region for design hunters of all kinds.
- We meet architectural photographer, John Gollings
- A fashion designer at home – Jac Hunt of Jac + Jack
- The partnership behind Adelaide gallery, Aptos Cruz
- and artist/architect, Richard Goodwin.
- Fashion designer, Grace Tan
- Graphic designer, Theseus Chan
- and we pay homage to New Zealand’s Marshall Cook.
- A home in the bustle of Bangkok
- We visit some kampung houses in Singapore
- 2 projects by CSYA
- The home of Ministry of Design’s Colin and Joy Seah
- A lodge in Victoria’s mountain country
- Beachside residences in NSW
- A suburban Melbourne house and 2 Queensland houses, including the spiritual home of artist, Tracey Moffat.
Habitus Issue 02
The second issue of Habitus includes conversations with New Zealand designer, David Trubridge, and Filipino Kenneth Cobonpue, and we look at the body of work of Malaysian architect, Kevin Low and Thai architect, Boonlert Hemvijitraphan.
Also in this issue:
- Designers, Pierre and Charlotte Julien
- and we visit an artistic and cultural haven in Malaysia.
- A group of architects who are experiencing their own design and exploring the concepts of living together, yet separately.
- We touch down briefly in New Zealand and visit a potter’s home and workshop
- We immerse ourselves in a beautiful project by Australia’s Glenn Murcutt
- and some stunning architecture in Tasmania.
Habitus Issue 01 – The Launch Issue
The pages of the first issue of Habitus are graced with a collection of diverse design hunters from the region.
- We visit the home of landscape designer Daniel Baffsky and Sass & Bide fashion designer Sarah-Jane Clarke
- Fashion designer, Akira Isogawa, talks to us about what inspires him
- We see how the art of creative couple, Ashika and Padma Ostapkowicz, are influenced by the landscape they live in
- and we profile icons from South-East Asia such as Ernesto Bedmar and landscape architect, Ng Sek San.
- A family home in Malaysia
- A treehouse-inspired structure in Bangkok
- Compound-style housing across continents
- Waterfront properties and suburban living in Sydney and a shophouse in Singapore.