Now, when it comes to travel, there’s luxury, and then there’s paradise. Luxury is expensive, paradise is priceless. When we came across Laucala Island in Fiji, paradise most certainly came to mind (so don’t ask about the price).
This amazing resort island is truly like a movie set, without reading like a theme park. Lush rainforest and sweeping tropical vistas are almost prerequisites for a Fijian holiday, but there’s an elegance to the execution of the villas and other facilities here that frame the location perfectly.
You can check out everything they have to offer on their site, but we thought we’d point out a few things.
- You can choose from 25 ‘residences’ (not suites, but residences) ranging from former coconut plantations to coastline villas and hillside hideaways.
- With a nod to Australian craftsmanship, you’ll spot Designer Rugs throughout the residences, with textures and colours beautifully complementing the tropical locale.
- Local produce is high on the priority list for Laucala, with 80% of all their products grown or sourced directly from the island’s 240 acres of farmland – a practical solution for an island resort.
- The resort is accessible by private jet (if you can remember where you parked it) or via the Laucala’s own King Air B 200 plane.
- Designed by London Architect Stephen Albert, the resort is made to sit softly in the environment, leaving the island relatively untouched.
Now, the price… it starts at $3,800 a night. It’s definitely steep, but it does include your own private one-bedroom villa, all meals and all activities during your stay. It’s been described as a “once in a lifetime” sort of place, but our bet is it you’d remember it for the rest of your days.
If you’ve been, or are planning to go, or have been somewhere else amazing in Fiji, why not let us know in the comments below.
Laucala Island Resort
Residence featuring Designer Rugs custom rug