Living Edge is committed to original and genuine design, offering furniture by the most world-renowned designers and manufacturers..
As part of this commitment, Living Edge is bringing Vitra’s 100 Miniatures Exhibition to Australia in November, providing an opportunity for visitors to see the miniature versions of the world’s most
famous chairs all in one place. The collection celebrates the last 200 years of chair design, marking pivotal moments in the history of furniture design, and providing insights into history in general. Many of the chairs were revolutionary explorations of material, technology and form, and continue be used in the environments that we create and live in today.
Vitra’s 100 Miniatures Exhibition will be on show in Australia November 8 to March 26 with exhibitions in Living Edge’s Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth Showrooms.
Want to know more? Find out all the information here.
Marcel Breuer was one of the most important designers of the early modern age. His biography is closely linked to the history of the Bauhaus, founded by Walter Gropius in 1919. The club chair B3, known today as »Wassily« was also created in connection with this renowned institution. lt is the first piece of seating furniture in the history of design to be made from seamless, precision-drawn tubular steel. lts transparency and visible structure are expressions of the stringent aesthetic approach that prevailed in architecture and design following World War I. Marcel Breuer replaced the massive upholstered corpus of the traditional club chair with a skeletonlike construction made out of bent steel tubing, thereby overcoming the physical weightiness of conventional seating. He exploited the elasticity of the material, complementing it with tautly stretched fabric strips of reinforced canvas for the seat and back. The B3 did not acquire the name »Wassily« until the beginning of the sixties, when the Italian furniture producer Dino Gavina purchased the manufacturing rights: Marcel Breuer had designed the armchair for the house of the painter Wassily Kandinsky, who taught at the Bauhaus from 1922 until 1933.